With today’s high gas prices, many people are looking for ways to achieve better fuel efficiency to get the most out of their cars. Below are some tips on how to be smarter about your gas usage so you can save money:
- Drive as smoothly as possible. Hard accelerating or braking burns up fuel and can be rough on your car, leading to more frequent maintenance work or repairs. It helps to keep a nice cushion of space between you and the car ahead of you so you don’t have to slam on the brakes.
- Car heaters recycle heat from the engine, but the air conditioner burns up fuel. On warm days, consider driving with the windows down instead of the A/C on.
- Remove excess weight from your car. Some people store heavy items in their trunks, such as portable chairs and camping gear. Taking these items out of the car when they’re not needed can save fuel. This also goes for roof racks and bike racks.
- When possible, avoid driving around during rush hour. Stop-start driving burns a lot of fuel. Similarly, avoid idling in parking lots. If you remain motionless for more than 10 seconds (except when at a red light), turn the engine off to save gas.
- Keep your tires inflated. Improper tire pressure affects your gas mileage. The cold can change your tire pressure, so check it every few weeks and before every road trip.
- Driving between 55 and 65 mph is when you achieve the best fuel efficiency, which will quickly decrease the faster you go. Stay within this speed whenever the speed limit allows for you to safely do so.
- Replace a broken or missing gas cap to prevent fuel from evaporating right out of the tank.
- Keep your car’s recommended maintenance schedule handy and check it every month. If your mileage indicates any necessary maintenance work, do so according to the schedule. This will keep your car running as smoothly as possible.
Want to save on coverage too? Call Key City Insurance at (866) 466-2109 for more information on Victorville auto insurance.