What is car insurance?
Car insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses as defined in your policy.
Car insurance provides liability, property and medical coverage:
- Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
- Property coverage pays for damage to or theft of your car.
- Medical coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
A car insurance policy is comprised of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages. If you’re financing a car, your lender may also have requirements.
Most car policies are for six months or a year. Your insurance company should notify you by mail when it’s time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.
Utah State Minimum Requirements
Utah requires you to have two types of insurance:
1. Liability Insurance:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury
- $65,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $15,000 per accident for property damage
2. Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Because Utah has a no-fault law, you also need at least $3,000 in PIP coverage. Unlike liability insurance, which covers the other person in an accident, PIP pays your medical expenses if you’re injured.
Understanding your options and insurance terms will help you decide what kinds of coverage you need?and what questions to ask of your agent.
As everyone’s circumstances are different, it is best to consult your agent to help assess your needs and find the insurance policy that is right for you.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That’s important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you’d need money to repair or replace it.
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Ask your agent to talk about what is covered and be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what’s included and what is not.
Contact us for Salt Lake City car or home insurance quote at 801-840-9555.