Karl Thurman, CEO of Key City Insurance, goes through how to best complete a car insurance claim.
- Make sure you report the claim directly to the insurance company, their toll free number will be on your ID card. This must be done as soon as possible, so that an adjuster can be assigned. Typically the adjuster will call within 24 hours, unless it is a weekend.
- If the car was towed away, you need to get the car to an auto body shop. Any shop is fine, but if you would like some recommendations then please call us for a list. The auto body shop people will start getting an estimate or bid on the vehicle to find out what the damage is, which will help speed up the claims process. If you have rental car benefit, or expense under the policy, they can help set that up for you too. Some insurance companies will supply you with a list of preferred body shops, and may even have a claims adjuster stationed within the body shop to expedite your estimate and claim. The auto body shop is an important part of the claims process.
- Your claims adjuster is another important part of the process, as they are the ones who will approve payments and decide whether you are covered for the damage. Find out the hours they are in the office, ask them for your claim number so when you call you can get the fastest service from them. Make sure you get a direct phone number or their extension as well as a fax number or email to send over important documents related to your claim. Also, you may want to find out who their manager or assistant is should they be out of the office, if you’re not able to contact them for some other reason.
- As your agent, we can influence the process, by applying pressure to the claims adjuster if things aren’t going right, or at most, explain the details of the policy. We’re here to be your advocate. If you feel you’re not getting the level of service you require, please let us know so we can help.
- Part of the claims adjuster’s responsibilities are to adjust the loss. This means they will pay for the necessary repairs related to the accident only as well as any car rental, medical expenses, lost wages or other damages covered under your specific policy and related to this specific claim. If you’re unsure of the details of your accident coverage on your auto policy, give us a call so we can help you feel secure in your coverage.
- Inspect your vehicle when you pick it up and be sure you’re fully satisfied with the work done before you sign off on the repairs. If you are at fault for the accident, or the other party involved has not taken responsibility, you may have to pay your deductible once the repairs are complete.
At Key City Insurance, we like to be a part of the claims process and make sure that you feel safe and secure. Only your claims adjuster can confirm or pay coverages, however we will still be available for help.
Please call us if you have any questions at 866-466-2109.
Manager / Owner